Music Development Dundee aims to bring a clearer focus for the creation, development and presentation of live music in Dundee. Managed by Leisure and Culture Dundee and based at the Caird Hall, we have a number of aims which include:
- To create opportunities for involvement and participation in a wide range of music and musical experiences, both for the local community and visitors to Dundee.
- To develop new audiences for classical, jazz, traditional, world and rock music
- To nurture and develop the musical skills of young people through the provision of training projects and a range of workshop events.
Music Development administers the Music Grants on behalf of Dundee City Council, which provides support to a number of national, regional and local organisations such as: Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Scottish Ensemble, Jazz Scotland, Dundee Choral Union, Dundee Symphony Orchestra, Dundee Chamber Music, Scottish National Jazz Orchestra, Music in Hospitals, NYOS, Children's Classic Concerts, Scottish Opera and University of Dundee Chaplaincy Concerts and St Paul's Cathedral Concerts to further enhance the musical offering within the city.
Music To Our Ears is Dundee’s first Music Strategy and it looks to address many of the issues facing the music sector in the city.
Prepared by Dundee’s Place Partnership team, the document is the culmination of a year-long process of consultation, conversations and consideration. Over 650 people participated in the consultation through an online survey, face to face interviews and public events. The wealth of information received has been distilled into three commitments and an accompanying Action Plan.
The strategy’s three commitments are:
- Growing Opportunities – to making the music sector in Dundee strong, sustainable and ambitious for its musicians and its venues.
- Developing Audiences – to growing the number of people attending live music in Dundee as we build Dundee’s reputation as a place to experience live music.
- Improving Promotions – to making sure that audiences are able to quickly, easily and effectively access information about live music.
View the full strategy document here (1.4Mb PDF)