Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0674
This photograph shows the western end of what was then known as Meadowside, at the junction with the south end of Constitution Road, which runs steeply north, opposite Barrack Street. It is now the site of W.W. Robertson's Post Office of 1898.
T.C. Cuthbert, the yard at No. 4 Meadowside, was one of the leading coachbuilding works in Scotland, George Cuthbert being among to first to build railway carriages in this country. The manager at this time, another George, lived at No. 6 Dudhope Place.
Other Cuthberts listed in the Dundee Directory were Thomas, a coach painter, and Thomas, a coach dealer. Their relationship is unknown. The offices beyond belonged to various solicitors and to the Commissioners for Gas (No. 16) and Police and Water (No. 8).
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.