Union Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0645
This photograph shows the Caledonian Railway's Dundee West station which stood at the southern end of Union Street at its interchange with Yeaman Shore and Whitehall Crescent.
The Great Western public house at No. 47 Union Street and No. 25 Yeaman Shore belonged to Mrs James Burdon. The building on the corner is still a public house. At No. 45 were the butchers Niven and Son, which is also still a butcher's shop.
On the opposite corner was the cycle shop belonging to Chall[acky], listed in the Dundee Directory for 1903-04 as Killacky, the owner being John Killacky, resident of Castle Street in Forfar.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.