Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0516
The Albion Hotel at the extreme right stands at the corner of Dundee's Tally Street (which led south to the Nethergate) and the Overgate. The street leading away northwards to the left is Barrack Street, and the street leading west is Mid Kirk Style.
David Meek & Son, tailors, were at Nos. 5, 7 and 11 Barrack Street. William Reid, the grocer, provided 'genuine provisions and liquor' at No. 59 Overgate. Above his shop were the offices of James Gordon, a houseagent, accessible from No. 3 Barrack Street.
Cameron's Temperance Hotel opened at No. 51 Overgate in 1895/96, having recently removed from Whitehall Crescent. They promised 'comfort and economy'. No. 49 was an Italian ice cream shop belonging to Antonio Franchi.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.