Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0506
This photograph shows the east end of Dundee's Overgate, where it merges with the High Street, with the Town House (on the south side of High Street) just visible behind the hanging sign to the right.
David McLeod the bootmaker was at No. 41 Overgate, James R Butchart, a basket manufacturer, at No. 37, the smallware merchant Paul Kane at No. 33 and the Dundee Equitable Boot Depot at No. 29, although it is not listed in the Dundee Directory.
No. 23 was Robert Methven, a spirit dealer. The clocks are possibly part of a display by Herbert J. Cohen the jeweller's display (at The Golden Locket) at No. 15, and the Foreign and British Emporium was next door to J. & J. Fleming's jeweller's shop
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.