Old Caledon Shed, Dundee

Old Caledon Shed, Dundee - Ref: WC0982

This photograph shows the Earl Grey Dock in the city's harbour. It was opened in 1834 and named after Charles, the 2nd Earl Grey, who was elected Prime Minister in 1830.

To the left of the photograph is Mather's Commercial Hotel, which stands at the west end of Whitehall Crescent (which opened in 1898) and to the right is the Royal Arch, which was built in 1848 to commemorate a visit in 1844 by Queen Victoria.

The shed in the original caption is something of an enigma, since no Caledon yard has been identified in this area. Left of centre is No. 2 Shed, and to the right are No. 3 Shed, all simply functioning as storage space.

Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

Need this in a different language?