Nethergate, Dundee

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0478

This photograph shows the south side of Dundee's Nethergate looking east from somewhere near the south end of Tay Street. The spire of St Paul's Meadowside can be seen in the distance. The foreground is dominated by St Andrew's Pro-cathedral.

Designed in 1835 by George Mathewson, the church opened on 7th August 1836, courtesy in part to £700 raised among the Catholics of France, and became a cathedral on 14th January 1923. No. 152 was A & J Robertson, Broughty Ferry coach builders.

No. 154 was Joseph Thomson, painter and decorator, and No. 156 the portrait studio belonging to Valentine & Co., one of the city's leading photographers. The bunting on several buildings was perhaps for the Diamond Jubilee Day procession.

Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

Need this in a different language?