Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0489
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the south side of Dundee's Nethergate, looking to the east, with the fence surrounding the City Churches to the left and the junction with Union Street just left of centre (the canopied building).
Russell's Royal Hotel, No. 54 Nethergate and No. 15 Union Street, stands proudly at end of a block which includes Charles Kerr, the pharmaceutical chemist at No. 56, George Sime's dental consulting rooms at No. 64 and James B. Dunn's music shop.
The Mandoline, banjo and guitar studio is never listed as such in the Dundee Directory. Miss Amelia Watson took over Miss E. Tyrie's underwear and baby linen business, and also her register of servants. Alfred Souter the jeweller was No. 76.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.