Nethergate, Dundee (south side) - Ref: WC0434
Alexander Wilson took this photograph of the south side of Dundee's Nethergate from inside the grounds of the City Churches. The shop with the canopies stands at the junction with the north end of Union Street, which runs towards the railway station.
On the opposite corner is the Royal Hotel, owned and managed by James T. Russell, listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 54. On the ground floor, at No. 25 was George Petrie, a bookseller, and at No. 56 Charles Kerr, a pharmaceutical chemist.
The Teeth! Teeth! Teeth! Sign belongs to the dentist George Sime at No. 64. No. 66 was the India, China & Japan bazaar, owned by James Watson. James D. Cameron, the dentist at No. 68, was 'principal assistant to the late Dr. J. Stewart'.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.