Nethergate, Dundee (south side) - Ref: WC0435
This photograph from the Wilson Collection shows Dundee's Nethergate looking east towards the spires of the Town House and St Paul's Cathedral. Union Street leads southwards to the right and towards the railway station.
The canopied shop is part of Albion House. On the opposite corner is the Royal Hotel, listed at No. 54. No. 52 was a jeweller's shop belonging to Richard McCormack, and No. 56 Charles Kerr's chemist's shop. J. M. Connell and Son, bootmakers, were at No. 62.
Talbert Thomas was the cigar importer at No. 64a and Thomas Shankie was a music seller at No. 70. Two other names visible in the image (Andrew's and Millar the confectioner) are not listed in the Dundee Directory for neither 1903/04 nor 1904/05.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.