High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0226
This photograph of the south side of Dundee High Street (running east to west from left to right) must date from later than 1899, when the new Royal Bank of Scotland was opened.
Also, electric trams (which were, confusingly, referred to in early Town Council meetings as 'motor cars' to distinguish them from horse-drawn and steam-powered trams) started at that time.
The magnificent Town House is also shown with the Vault (the street) leading down its western side, the next building being the offices of the Dundee and District Tramway Co. Ltd.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.