High Street, Dundee (south side) - Ref: WC0271
Looking westwards into the distance, this photograph shows Dundee High Street leading into Nethergate.
Basking in the evening shadows, it's a difficult image to date, since the identifiable shops were owned by the current patrons for several decades.
The spire visible above the Pears' Soap advertisement belongs to Meadowside St Paul's church, built in 1850 to designs by Glasgow's Charles Wilson ('a poor church with a good tower and spire' according to 'Architects and architecture in Dundee 1770-1914'.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.