"Harland" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0835
The "Harland" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship, built by Richardson, Duck and Co., of Stockton in 1885 for W. Land of London. She had a gross tonnage of 1742 and measured 250.8 feet in length. She was sold to Stuart Bros., of Glasgow in 1889.
The "Harland" arrived at Dundee Harbour on 9th May 1889 from Calcutta, with a cargo of raw jute for processing in the city's mills, the voyage having lasted 126 days. No subsequent visits are recorded.
This photograph by Alexander Wilson, an amateur from Dundee, shows the "Harland" on the south side of the city's Victoria Dock, about to undergo her No. 1 Special Survey (according to Lloyd's Register).
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.