Gilfillan Memorial Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1423
Rev George Gilfillan was a social reformer and friend of Wm McGonagall. He was a favourite with working people preaching in School Wynd and holding weddings at his manse at night once a week. 50,000 people attended his funeral. Foundation stone laid for present church on 7 May 1887 & cost £9000.
The shop at the side of the Church - Alexander Morris (Toys & Fancy Goods) has a good display of baskets & brushes hanging outside. Girls standing behind a display of barrows etc and a wheelchair
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.