"Euterpe", "Ardencraig", "Blythswood" and "Nile" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0820
Four of the five vessels in this Alexander Wilson photograph are recognisable from other views in his collection. The "Euterpe", the "Ardencraig", the "Blythswood" and the "Nile". The fifth is a full-rigged three-masted ship, probably the "Indore"
The "Ardencraig" was an iron three-masted full-rigged ship, built by Russell and Co., of Greenock in 1886 for Edmiston and Mitchells of Glasgow. Her gross tonnage was 2153 and she was 277.7 feet long.
The "Nile" was an iron four-masted full-rigged ship, built by Russell and Co., of Port Glasgow in 1886 for W. Douglas of the same town. She had a gross tonnage of 2163 and was 283.5 feet in length.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.