Dundee West Railway Station (New)

Dundee West Railway Station (New) - Ref: WC1042

The Caledonian Railway built this station in 1889, to designs by its chief engineer, Thomas Barr. It was the third such structure, the first having been a wooden construction and the second a stone building.

Red sandstone was used for the third (and last) station. With the unification of the railway companies, Dundee West was demolished and Tay Bridge became the only mainline station in the City of Dundee. Broughty Ferry retained its own station.

Very much in the Scottish baronial style, the elegant building dominated the west side of South Union Street, the forecourt having been the former site of what became know as the Old Dundee West.

Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

Need this in a different language?