Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0952
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows a busy scene in Dundee Harbour. The tall masted sailing ship in the centre is most likely a jute carrying vessel.
To the left of the masts, the spire of St Paul's Cathedral (on the corner of Commercial Street and High Street) is clearly visible. The three storey building to the left is the harbour master's office.
The tidal harbour is seen to the right, busy with fishing boats. Behind them is an open space known as the Grassmarket and, to the east and right, Dock Street, where the offices of various shipping companies were located.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.