"Dundee" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0809
The "Dundee" was a D. P. & L. single-screw steamer which did the London to Dundee route. Her gross tonnage was 1305, and she was 270 feet in length. She was built in 1885 by Gourlay Bros. And Co., of Dundee.
After a collision on 3rd December 1909 with the S. S. "Thames", she ran aground, took on water and capsized. After salvage, she was towed to Felixtowe and was broken up.
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the "Dundee" on the D. P. & L. berth at Dundee's Victoria Dock, with the Customs House and the Seaman's Home in the background.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.