Baldovan Village, Dundee - Ref: WC1834
In this photograph of Baldovan village interested spectators have turned out for the camera. The village was developed in the mid 19th century in an attempt by Dundee to expand northwards. The estate of Baldovan was owned at that time by the Ogilvie's of Inverquharity.
Today Baldovan village has gone, cleared to make way for Dundee's redevelopment. The name survives, however. There is a Baldovan Road which runs from Downfield to Strathmartine Hospital, formerly Baldovan Institution.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.