Baldovan, Dundee - Ref: WC1829
Baldovan village beside Strathmartine was developed in the 1830s. It was owned by the Ogilvie's of Baldovan. The name Baldovan in Gaelic means "deep settlement" which was appropriate as Baldovan village became a proud independent community.
In this photograph villagers have turned out for the camera. Note the thatched roofs of the cottages. These cottages are all gone now. This part of Dundee having been completely redeveloped. The name remains, however, as there is still a Baldovan Road in Dundee today.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.