Victoria Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0668
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows a section of the south end of Dundee's Victoria Road. At the righthand side is John Neave's brewery, listed in the Dundee Directory as Nos. 16-18. Neave himself lived at No. 4 William Street.
The elegant office block called Victoria Chambers covers No. 10-14 of Victoria Road, and was commercial home to several of the city's leading merchants and accountants, including James Smieton, a jute mill owner who, like his mother, also wrote poetry.
John W. Shepherd was the resident secretary of The Scottish Provident Institution for Mutual Life Assurance (as seen in one window), as well as that for the Victoria Jute Co. Ltd., and The East of Scotland Investment Co. He lived at Tayview, East Newport.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.