Victoria Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0667
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows the junction of Dundee's Victoria Road (running away to east north east) with Hilltown running north to the left and Wellgate, leading south to the city centre, down the familiar 'Steps'.
James Duncan, the butcher, is listed in the Dundee Directory at No. 23 Victoria Road. The Victoria Billiard Rooms are not listed anywhere. No. 29 was a branch of the grocer's chain, William Low, which had shops throughout Dundee and in other cities.
William Crichton was a wine and spirits merchant on the south side of the junction with Wellgate. At the foot of the Hilltown, J.S. Smith is the wines & spirits merchant, although the Dundee Directory lists a V.R. Smith at that address.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.