Victoria Road and Wellgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0670
The south side of Dundee's Victoria Road is the focus of this photograph by Alexander Wilson, with the famous Wellgate Steps just left (north) of the centre. Hilltown runs steeply uphill to the north directly opposite.
The British Linen Company had four branches in Dundee in 1904, this one (at No. 23 Victoria Road) managed by J. A. Edward, of No. 32 Forfar Road. No. 27 was John Robertson, teeth manufacturer. Arthur Calvert, draper and clothier, was No. 73 Wellgate.
Mrs James Will's boot and shoemaker's shop was No. 21. She lived at No. 66 Wellgate. The Halfway House, James Crichton's wines and spirits store (and public house?), was Nos. 13-15, and the tearooms at No. 11 belonged to confectioner David M. Milne.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.