The Vault, Dundee - Ref: WC0663
This photograph shows the north and west sides of the part of Dundee's city centre called The Vault, which lay to the south of High Street, behind the Town House, where it met St Clement's Lane. This area was demolished when City Square was built.
The washing line confirms that it was predominantly a residential area, but there were several public houses (which perhaps explains the presence of the rather ornate public convenience!) and other places for social activity.
The main businessman was William Smith, a wines & spirits dealer, who owned Nos. 5, 9 and 11, and The Queen's Hotel in Nethergate, as well as a bottling business. One of his carts is shown. William S. McNab had a leather warehouse at No. 1.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.