Unidentified ships in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0983
This photograph shows the tidal harbour at Dundee, with tall ships standing in the King William IV Dock in the background. The tower to the left was the harbourmaster's lookout post, which stood to the north of the entrance to the Earl Grey Dock.
In the foreground are three paddle steamers, two of which may be the "Teazer" and the "Conquest". The third is unknown. The one nearest the quayside is numbered SN 1083, which means she was registered in North Shields.
None of the sailing ships can be identified either, but they have the appearance of large jute carriers. The spire of Sir George Gilbert Scott's St Paul's Cathedral can just be made out among the masts.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.