Unidentified ship in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0933
This photograph shows a sailing ship of some description in Dundee Harbour. It is difficult to be more precise because the third mast is not clearly visible and the proper designation is defined by the nature of the rigging.
The ship is in the Earl Grey Dock, with the Royal Arch (built in 1848 to celebrate Victoria;s visit to the city in 1844) at the left hand side. It was demolished as part of the land reclamation associated with the building of the Tay Road Bridge in the 196
The vessel is either a whaler (one of Dundee's leading industries at the time was fishing for whales and killing seals for skins and oil), or one of the smaller jute carriers who sailed annually from the Indian subcontinent.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.