Tannage Court, 7 Cowgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0626
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows Tannage Court, which is listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 7 Cowgate. The passageway to the right leads to the Cowgate proper, a bust shopping street.
A. Esplin, Son and Clark, houseagents, had offices there. Other people listed for 1905 are R. McGavin Greig, manufacturer (who lived at Willowbrae, No. 3 Blackness Terrace), Alexander Easton, engine driver, and Peter Black, warehouseman.
Others were John C. Gray, artist, David Pitlethy, storekeeper, Susan B. McNab, laundress, and James Simpson, a 'monumental sculptor, marble worker and tile layer', business address No. 88 Arbroath Road.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.