South Tay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0629
South Tay Street in Dundee ran from the Nethergate in the south (to the left of this photograph) to a junction with the Overgate, the West Port and North Tay Street.
The identifiable businesses match entries in the Dundee Directory for 1891-92 and several previous editions - the canopies obscure the names of those which would help to date the image more accurately.
The most interesting building is perhaps the round tower, known as Morgan's Buildings, which at that time housed John W. Russell, chemist, George Morrison, the fruiterer whose shop is at No. 123, Henry Y. Third, upholsterer and Mrs John Steel.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.