Seagate, Dundee - Ref: WC0588
This photograph shows a part of the north side of Dundee's Seagate prior to demolition to make way for the elegant St Andrews Buildings, named after the street which leads northwards at the right hand side of the image.
Thomas Muir's coal cart stands outside the offices of the solicitor John Duff Bruce S. S. C., a notary public who lived at Sunnybank, 61 Magdalen Green, and John Findlay jun., a house-agent, who lived in Broughty Ferry.
No. 114 is the business premises of the saddler, Robert Sim. J. Hendry was his predecessor in the business. Sim lived next door at No. 112. The chimney stack is presumably part of the tobacco manufacturing works at No. 108, belonging to Fairweather and Sons.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.