Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0509
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the east end of Dundee's Overgate shopping area at the junction with High Street, with Monk's House (named after the English general who lived there during the city's occupation of 1651) in the left foreground.
No. 23 was a public house called The Pump, owned by Mrs Methven, No. 21 belonged to James T. G. Millar, a hat manufacturer, No. 15 was The Golden Locket jeweller's shop of Herbert J. Cohen, and No. 9 was William Petrie, watchmaker.
John Ramsay, a confectioner, had Tearooms above Petrie's, listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 11. The advertisement for basketmaking refers to Charles Nicoll, who had a shop at No. 16 and lived at No. 14.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.