Nethergate, Dundee

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0421

The north-western portion of Dundee's Nethergate is shown in this undated photograph. This area was demolished when the city's ring road Marketgait section was built in the early 1960s.

William Aimer, the photographer, is listed as a photographer at No. 55 Nethergate in the Dundee Directory from 1889-90 until 1892-93. The other businesses are listed both before and after those dates. Annie McNaughton specialised in Berlin wool.

The church is St Enoch's, initially shown on development plans for the Overgate Shopping Centre ('Scotland's first') as being preserved but in actual fact demolished. The Lamb Collection (Box 172(4)) contains various materials relating to the church.

Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

Need this in a different language?