Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0423
This photograph shows the south side of Dundee's Nethergate between Whitehall Street in the east at the left hand side and the north end of Couttie's Wynd at the right.
Wilson stood at the south end of Tally Street outside A. Louis Reis & Co.'s American watch shop, which also had branches in Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Their sign advertises melodeons. No. 36 housed the Dundee Burns Club and Dundee the Burns Society.
No. 38a was the Y. W. C. A. restaurant and boarding house. There is one puzzling detail: William Millar's Supply Store is actually not listed in the Dundee Directory for 1909, having been replaced on that site by the British Linen Bank in 1898.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.