Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0451
This photograph shows the south side of Dundee's Nethergate from Crichton Street in the east at the left to just beyond Union Street in the west. The stretch to Jame Kerr's boot shop is technically High Street, but this has always been a grey area.
The left hand side of the photograph contains several shoe and boot shops and factories: H. P. Tyler at No. 26 High Street (with further branches in Hilltown and Westport), Manfield and Sons at No. 28, James S. Kerr at No. 2 Nethergate.
Draffen & Jarvie occupied the building at Nos. 8 & 10 Nethergate and 1, 3 & 5 Whitehall Street. George Draffen was born in Coatbridge, became a member of Ryehill United Free Church and a Justice of the Peace in Dundee. He travelled widely.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.