Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0459
This photograph shows the north west section of Dundee's Nethergate with the majestic towers of St Enoch's Established Church at the left hand side, which is listed in some issues of the Dundee Directory as No. 79, as is the 'merchant tailor' Peter Craig.
No. 29 is the Upholstery and carpet warehouse belonging to Edward Wilson & Sons, who are listed at that address over more than a decade. They placed an advertisement in 1902/03 as yacht furnishers. Next door at No. 31 was Peter McLean, a tobacconist.
No. 33 was the Perth Dye Company, P & P Campbell. No. 35 was the 'ironmonger, plumber and gasfitter', James Falconer. The Cabinetmakers and upholsterers at No. 41 were T & A Smith until 1896/97, then Donald & Duncan.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.