Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0460
The twin spires at the left hand side of this photograph belonged to St Enoch's Established Church, which is listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 79 Nethergate. The building with the ornate roof to the west was J. Gonnella & Sons, sculptors.
No. 73 was Laird & Sinclair, ironmongers. At No. 67 were Stalker & Boyd, painters and decorators. George Walker, the confectioner, was at No. 57. John Fraser's embroidery warehouse was No. 53. William Aimer was the photographer at No. 55.
Daniel Dailly's baby linen and ladies' and juveniles' underclothing warehouse was at Nos. 61 and 63. Born of Irish parents in Stranraer in 1828, Dailly came to Dundee in 1856 and retired from business in 1891. He went to Rome for Pope Leo XIII's Jubilee.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.