Morison Evangelical Union Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1429
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows a church in Guthrie Street, Dundee. The congregation was formed in 1866 and met in in a small church at the foot of Victoria Road.
Due to street improvements they had to leave and met at the YMCA Hall until the new church was erected in 1887 at a cost of £1,800. In 1896 the Evangelical and Congregational Churches joined.
In foreground of the picture is a horse and cart delivering coal. Several shops can be seen, including a Baby Linen shop and Hairdressers.Some people are standing in the street. Large billboard advertising Colman's Mustard and Sunlight Soap.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.