Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC0376
In this photograph, Dundee's Meadowside leads to the east and right, with Constitution Road at the left and the Howff graveyard on the right.
Cuthbert's Coachbuilding works was established in Dundee by George Cuthbert, a native of Perth. The Meadowside works opened in 1880, and were the largest such premises in North-East Scotland at the time.
His son, George, was 'an extremely popular personality', according to his obituary in the Dundee Advertiser of 8th August 1934. He was deacon and assessor of the Nine Incorporated Trades of Dundee, a keen angler, and an able amateur musician.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.