Mars Training Ship, Dundee - Ref: WC2143
This photograph shows two unidentified women. In the river on the left can be seen the Mars Training Ship. This ship was established on the River Tay in 1869. Its purpose, the care and training in seamanship of disadvantaged, orphaned and criminal boys.
The photograph was taken from the shore on the Fife side of the river. The women's clothes are of interest. They appear to be a little unsuitable for such rough terrain but would have been typical of Victorian fashions of the day. (1897)
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.