Mars Training Ship, Dundee - Ref: WC2146
The Mars Training Ship was anchored in the River Tay. It could accommodate up to 400 delinquent or disadvantaged boys. They were given training in seamanship.
The Mars was built as a man-of war in the 1840s. She served as a training ship on the Tay from 1869 until 1929 when the decision to scrap her was made. The Mars was taken by tug to Inverkeithing in June, 1929 to be broken up.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.