King Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0323
This photograph shows the south side of King Street, which leads down hill into Dundee via St Andrews Place.
With one exception, the identifiable shops, etc., match entries in the Dundee Directory for 1891-92: D. S. Butchart the 'fancy goods agent' whose hoardings advertise tobacco and snuff, as well as various newspapers appears in neither it nor any other.
David Crabbe, the watchmaker, was at No. 26, John Hutton, tobacconist, at No. 30, James Crawford, painter, at No. 32. Beyond Whitton's Lane was Alexander Low's wines and spirits shop, then is the mysterious D. S. Butchart.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.