King Street, Dundee

King Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0324

This photograph shows the north side of King Street, with the only surviving building the mill at the right hand side, which is occupied by modern apartments.

The identifiable businesses match entries in the Dundee Directory for 1891-92, the only year which has Mrs McKechnie as a confectioner at No. 70. The Old Brewery at No. 62 belonged to Thomas Burke, and The Loyal Shepherd's Arms to Peter Smart.

George Gilchrist's China, crystal & stoneware shop was at No. 60. The sign above the Loyal Shepherd's Arms is for [James] McMillan & [James] Crystal, who are listed in the Dundee Directory as joiners at 16 William Street.

Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

Need this in a different language?