High Street, Dundee from Whitehall Street - Ref: WC0255
This is an interesting photograph, in that it shows the north side of Dundee High Street, while the buildings to the right (and east) of the junction are technically Nethergate.
To the left of Melville House are the studios of William Ferrier, whose biography is printed in The Piper o' Dundee, 4th January 1893.
Originally from Old Scone near Perth, he was schooled at Kinnoull and went on to study art at Perth's School of Art, but turned to photography, working in Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and New York, before settling in Dundee.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.