High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0228
This photograph shows the south side of High Street to the west of the Town House, which is occupied today by City Square.
The names on the various buildings match entries in the Dundee Directory of 1893-94, and include W. G. Stevenson, bookbinders, and the North of Scotland Bank, the elegant building at No. 24.
A. W. R. Birrell, the wine and spirits merchant is at the top of The Vault, next door to the Dundee and District Tramway Co. Ltd.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.