High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0305
The Town House stands proudly at the western end of this photograph of the south side of Dundee High Street, taken some time before 1899. The city's coat of arms is clearly seen above the central window.
It is formally described thus: azure; a pot of growing lilies, argent; for the crest, lilies of the same; supporters, two dragons, vert, with their tails rolled below. The mottoes are: Dei donum (gift of God) and Prudentia et candore (wisdom and truth).
In the lower arcade (known as 'The Pillars') there were several shops, including John Prophet, an umbrella maker, James Bruce, confectioner, James Steel, tea merchant, and, the one which is identifiable here Peter McLean, the tobacconist.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.