High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0332
This photograph focuses on the Town House, which stood in the middle of Dundee's main shopping area on the south side of High Street.
From the east (to the left), the adjoining streets are Commercial Street at the extreme left, Castle Street, Tindal's Wynd between Smith's and H Adams & Son the glove makers, and St Clement's Lane, unseen between the Pillars and Mackays the jewellers.
The Piper of Dundee, vol. 26, p. 364, has photographs and a biography of James P. and Arthur Smith and their business.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.