"Falls of Afton" or "Falls of Dee" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0927
Dundee Harbour was always busy at the turn of the 20th century. Up to 20 vessels per day would arrive with various cargo's, including jute, flax, and hemp, for processing in the city's mills, and wood from the Baltic countries.
This four masted ship, which is unidentified, is almost certainly one of those which sailed from Chittagong in what is now Bangladesh and Calcutta with thousands of tons of jute every year.
Without any more information, it is difficult to locate the vessel accurately, too, but it is almost certainly standing in either the Earl Grey or King William IV dock with No. 4 shed in the background.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.