Electric tram in Dundee High Street - Ref: WC1054
The Nethergate is seen in this photograph by Alexander Wilson leading eastwards towards High Street in the distance. The City Churches are to the left (behind the fencing) and Union Street leads south to the railway stations behind the tram.
Wilson recorded various early means of transport in his collection. Electric trams were introduced into the city in 1900, replacing steam engines (although four were retained as snowploughs), which had themselves replaced horse-drawn trams
The tramcar pictured terminated at Windsor Street (which leads south off Perth Road just past the junction known locally as Sinderins), and had presumably started its journey at the stance outside the Town House.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.