Earl Grey Dock, Dundee

Earl Grey Dock, Dundee - Ref: WC0979

Earl Grey Docks in Dundee were opened in November 1834. A public ceremony called the "Reform Jubilee" had assembled at Magdalen Green on 9th August 1832, then marched to the docks for the laying of the foundation stone.

Charles, the 2nd Earl Grey, was elected Prime Minister in 1830, and the dock appears to have been named in his honour. Ironically, he was forced to resign in 1834 due to the unpopularity of his famine and Ireland policies.

At only five and a quarter acres, it was, in fact, the smallest of Dundee's four principle docks. Along with King William IV Dock, it was also two shallow to cope with the larger vessels, so the Victoria and Camperdown Docks were built to the east.

Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

Need this in a different language?