Dundee West Railway Station (New)

Dundee West Railway Station (New) - Ref: WC1045

This Alexander Wilson photograph shows Dundee West station (in its third form - the original wooding structure was replaced in 1864, and the third was opened in 1889), with the goods yard at the left hand side.

Beyond the station is the south end of Union Street, which leads to the City Churches and Nethergate. At the south end was a public house owned by Mrs James Burdon, who lived at No. 2 Windsor Terrace.

Dundee West Station belonged to the Caledonian Railway Company. In 1898, the station master was James McNaughton and the Goods Manager A. Robertson. The company also had a station at Magdalen Green.

Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

Need this in a different language?