Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0970
This photograph by Alexander Wilson, the manager of a jute finishing factory (known as a calender), shows the tidal harbour in Dundee, with the King William Dock at the right hand side (the two masts of a ship can be seen).
The grey tower near the centre of the background is the Old Steeple, which still dominates the Dundee skyline. Just to the right, but more in the foreground is the Royal Arch, built in 1848 to commemorate a visit by Queen Victoria in 1844.
To the left are several paddle steamers at Craig Pier, where they sailed either to Fife (as a means of commuting to and from work) or on pleasure trips to Perth and Bridge of Earn via the Fife town of Newburgh.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.